This week, Zaha Hadid Architects celebrates five years of opening the Investcorp Building for Oxford University’s Middle East Centro at St. Anthony’s.
The design of the building is by Dame Zaha Hadid himself, a world-renowned architect. The building’s name is due to the support of the global investment group during its construction.
The Zaha Hadid Architects were the recipients of the commission for the building to in 2006. In May of 2015, the public saw the completion and opening of the building by Dame Zaha Hadid.
About the building
The building has a total floor space of 1200 meters square, with a 900-meter square footprint area. It houses an underground theatre for lectures with 117 seats.
The library in the building has electronic stacks with 26 stations to sit and read. The archive has an environmentally controlled storage to store collections of photographs and paper. It also has a kitchen and gallery, where students and faculty can enjoy a cup of tea.
Over the years, the building has been the recipient of several awards for its preserving architecture. Some of these awards include the Oxford Preservation Trust New Building Award 2015, The Royal Institute of British Architects RIBA South Award 2016.
In 2016, it also received the RIBA National Award that honours buildings across the UK with significant contributions to architecture. The Investcorp building is also the recipient of the World Architecture 2016 Festival Award in Higher Education and Research Category.